The Co-Academic Programs of the Faculty of Health Science (FHS) combine academic understandings with applied community work in diverse settings, to respond to needs for reconstruction, economic development and community prosperity, and health and well-being. These objectives are undertaken within the framework of the commitment of the University of Balamand to promote sustainable development and proactive citizenship in Lebanon and the Arab region. They are integral to the mission of the FHS to foster professional competencies in the service of the community.
The Programs aim to achieve health promotion and excellence in public health practice through applying state of the art public health and project management methodologies and technologies which ensure quality deliverables to target populations and stakeholders. These Programs have also provided invaluable experience for students, who have been involved in various phases of their implementation, process, and evaluation.
The Co-Academic Programs are housed at the FHS on the Achrafieh Campus and the Al Kurah Campus and conduct their activities throughout Lebanon and the region Collaboration occurs with partners at the local, national and international level to enable local and regional communities to alleviate problems and address developmental concerns. Some of the projects, partnerships and publications of the Co-Academic Programs have comprised work done to foster Healthier Societies, Healthier Schools, and a Landmines Resource Center.
Some examples include:
- - Landmine Resource Center, in collaboration with the United States Agency for International Development, the World Rehabilitation Fund, UNICEF, UNDP, Mines Action Canada, Norwegian People's Aid, the Swiss Confederation, the United Arab Emirates, and the Lebanese Ministry of Defence
- - Enhancing Economic Participation of Women Through Supporting Rural Women Cooperatives * Improving the Lives and Livelihoods of Iraqi Refugees and Disadvantaged Syrians
- Psychosocial Support Program Middle East Council of Churches -MECC
- USAID-funded Building Alliances for Local Advancement, Development and Investment –
Capacity Building (BALADI CAP) project
- Hygiene Promotion training done in collaboration with UNICEF and COOPI, the Italian NGO
- Gender Mainstreaming at the Ministry of Social Affairs
- Water Project in Rashaya and West Bekaa with funding from USAID
- School Health Program in collaboration with the Ministry of Education and Higher Education
- Enhanced Educational and Socio-Economic Opportunities for Youth in Ein el Helweh and other areas in Southern Lebanon, in collaboration with the Danish Refugee Council
For more information about the above and other projects, contact Ms. Habbouba Aoun: email@example.com
, or firstname.lastname@example.org