Welcome to the Chemical Engineering Department!
The University of Balamand was the first to initiate a chemical engineering program in Lebanon in 2008. The inauguration of the Maroun Semaan Chemical Engineering Department took place in 2013.
A chemical engineer is often labeled a “universal engineer”, which gives him/her great work opportunities in a variety of fields (petroleum, food, environment, renewable energy, biochemical processes etc.). A chemical engineer design, oversee, and optimize processes that convert raw materials into valuable products through the application of mathematics, physics, and chemistry.
Professors and staff members at our department are dynamic individuals who are committed to teaching and research excellence, as well as serving our community. You can look through our website to get an idea about our projects, research, and facilities!
We provide hands on experience to students in the following state-of the-art laboratories occupying more than 800 m2: Petroleum, Drilling, Food Technology, Materials and Corrosion, Nanotechnology, Computer, Transport Phenomena, Chemical Reactions, Unit Operations, and Process Control. In particular, the petroleum lab includes more than 25 advanced equipment stations and our drilling lab has a one of its kind drilling simulator!
We offer the following 3 degrees in Chemical Engineering that prepare engineers and scientists to tackle today’s real-world problems: Bachelor of Science (BS; 109 credits), Bachelor of Engineering (BE; 146 credits), Master of Science (MS; 46 credits). In all three programs, we ensure that students have great opportunities for trainings and internships.
You are more than welcome to schedule a visit and we hope that you will be part of the UOB family!
Rima Manneh, PhDrima.email@example.com
Program Educational Objectives
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
Within a few years of obtaining a BS degree, the chemical engineering program will produce graduates who:
BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
Demonstrate variety of skills leading to proficiency in various industry sectors such as chemical, petroleum, and environmental industries. These skills are:
- Technical foundations by using critical thinking to identify problems and provide adequate engineering solutions.
- Effective communication skills to articulate scientific ideas and proposals
- Enhance their professional development by pursuing advanced degree in chemical engineering or any other professional fields, acquiring knowledge and experience of advanced technologies in their disciplines, and working efficiently independently and with cross disciplinary teams.
- Involve in professional service by putting their engineering skills and practices to benefit society and promote sustainable development and environmental protection for future generation.
- Exhibit highest ethical standards to promote the impact of engineering on society, and on the safety and well-being of the public.
The Program aims to provide chemical engineering students with strong fundamentals in general science and specifically in chemical engineering, enabling them to find solutions to practical design problems in the chemical and petroleum industry. The objectives of the Program are to:
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
- - Prepare chemical engineering students for the dynamic and fast-evolving field of chemical and petroleum engineering.
- - Provide students with in-depth professional training over a wide range of speciality areas relevant to chemical and petroleum engineering.
- - Instil in chemical engineering students a strong sense of professionalism and community awareness so they can conduct themselves according to ethical principles and be aware of the impact of chemical engineering on society and the environment.
The objectives of the Program are to:
- - Engage students in practical experiences and applications in labs, workshops and internships.
- - Broaden the horizon of students by exposing them to culture and ethical principles.
- - Familiarize students with the industrial codes sector via lectures and by visiting plants.
- - Emphasize “hot topics” engineering via guest lecturers.
- - Expand students’ critical and creative thinking and engineering design for different ChemE fields.
- - Engage students in multi-disciplinary applied research (experimental and modelling).
- - Sensitize students to the need for long-life learning through scientific publications and critical papers.
- - Foster a high degree of proficiency in communication skills (both oral and written), team-work and leadership.
The Program in Chemical Engineering provides graduated students with a solid educational base that allows them to pursue successful careers or move on to graduate studies and learn how to ensure sustainable development in the field of chemical engineering or related fields. Assuming the Program Educational Objectives have been achieved, the Faculty of Engineering in general, and the Chemical Engineering Department expects that these ABET “a” through “k” student outcomes will follow:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- An ability to function in multidisciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The insight, stemming from a broad educational background, to gauge the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in, lifelong learning.
- An awareness and understanding of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
The BS in Chemical Engineering Program is designed to prepare students for the professional job market through the pursuit of comprehensive studies in the field. It aims at equipping students with a solid knowledge of the engineering sciences and appropriate general and specialized skills, enabling them to develop into well-rounded chemical engineers. Our BS program includes 109 credits.
BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
The BE in Chemical Engineering Program augments the BS Program through imparting to students in-depth knowledge in specific areas, thus adding to their practical and general skills. Students are exposed to applied-learning experiences in synergy, which meet the requirements for registration in the Lebanese Order of Engineers. Our BE program consists of 146 credits
Graduates may apply to pursue advanced study leading to a Master of Science Degree in Chemical Engineering provided he/she has obtained the required averages in the undergraduate programs of study, either immediately following the BS degree or after completing the BE degree. The Faculty Admissions Committee makes the final decision about student entry into the Master of Science Program.
The graduate program at the department of Chemical Engineering offers the following tracks:
Petroleum engineers are engaged in different aspects of oil exploration and development, from identifying and characterizing the reservoir through drilling and completion to production. Petroleum engineers also discover new ways to extract oil and gas from older wells. We offer courses that cover both upstream and downstream operations and will prepare graduates for careers in petroleum and energy-resource fields. Our Petroleum and Drilling Engineering labs feature state of the art units that enable students to determine different properties of oil and even to perform a full drilling simulation!
Industrial Processes Engineering
Industrial Processes Engineering integrates in-depth knowledge of core areas of process engineering, such as polymerization, separations, transport, and reaction processes. Courses in this track prepare graduates to play a vital role in designing and developing new materials, optimizing existing processes, and elaborating sustainable energy systems. This is a genuinely remarkable track that will enable students to work in a wide range of industries.
Food Processing equips students with a solid understanding of food process engineering, and transferable skills in massive demand in the market. Food process engineers are engaged in the development of food processes and products. Food Processing courses give students the theoretical and practical knowledge required in the food industry, which, combined with suitable industrial training and experience, can help launch graduates on the path towards becoming leading engineers in the food industry.
The Maroun Semaan Department of Chemical Engineering at UOB is the first Chemical Engineering Department in Lebanon. It is committed to achieving excellence in both teaching and research. With an area of over 5000 square meters, it is equipped with ten modern laboratories, offering students a hands-on industrial experience and researchers an opportunity for scientific innovation. The equipment studied and manipulated by the students covers a wide range of chemical engineering applications, from petroleum to environmental water treatment, fluid mechanics, separation and transport processes, unit operations, chemical reactions, and food technology. Safety awareness is integrated throughout the lab. All these labs are dedicated to innovative research in different chemical engineering domains, for both MS and PhD levels.
The following is a list of laboratory functionalities and equipment:
Drilling Engineering Lab
Transport Phenomena Lab
Chemical Reactions Lab
Unit Operations Lab
Food Technology Lab
Fluid Mechanics Lab